One year ago in the hectic city named Ho Chi Minh City in Southern Vietnam I discovered Yoga and what a difference it makes to your life. Both Vietnam and Yoga are now very important parts of my life. Click here if you want to read about how I started my path with Yoga in Vietnam. It has now been 3 months since I left Vietnam and I miss it quite terribly. Actually, 3 months right on the day. Wow.
I am now in Calgary, Canada. For my comeback to Yoga I chose to go with ‘Soul Hot Yoga’ right by Deerfoot Trail on 126th Ave, Calgary. I did a few regular Yoga classes in Vancouver but I was definitely missing the heat. I was more than happy to discover that I am surrounded by Hot Yoga studios in South Calgary and that they offer a 40$ unlimited trial for a month. So… why not make the most out of it, make it a challenge, go 30 times, every day for a month? See what it actually does to my body and mind.
As Hot Yoga is super popular in North America I thought this would be something interesting for a lot of people to follow. How will she feel after the classes? Which class has which effect? Which muscles will hurt afterwards? Will she make it? Does the heat actually make you loose more weight than regular Yoga classes? Are you able to burn up to a thousand calories per class, as the rumors say? Does the heat make it easier for you to stretch? If you google those questions you will get all kinds of results. So I want to give you the chance to actually follow me through my challenge, I will even weigh in and share it with you because well, I don’t give a shit ;). I’ve always weighed about the same, 55kg +/-. As right now, 1 day before I start my challenge, I am in the + section, 57,5kg (127 creepy pounds), I wouldn’t mind loosing some of that during the challenge. But it is not the point. I’m curious. I wanna test the rumors and really get to the bottom of that blazing topic of ‘Hot Hot Yoga’ . If you are too, well here we go! Day 1 will start with a class that is called ‘Power Vinyasa Flow’ at around 30°C. I want to take it easy for at least the first two classes before I actually enter the hot room and ‘Soul Hot Yoga’ offers a couple of warm classes for explorers.
Updates & Progress
- UPDATE DAY 8: I am down a pound, almost two, after the first week. That is not much could as well just be a good day to jump on the scale ;-). But we will see how it continues!
- UPDATE DAY 15: Those hamstrings are slowly loosening up. I can’t believe it. Generally, I feel the strength building up in my body! The strength to focus on my breath, controlling it, keeping my legs and core strong to work with the poses. And..slowly but surely, I am able to get out of my head and thoughts. This is just wonderful.
- UPDATE DAY 18: Hi there hips. Hello almost split.
- Beginning of 4th week: Challenge had to be interrupted for a trip to Vancouver!
- Towards the end, awareness Day/ Practice 19: My body is in the right place. It flows with Yoga and it ‘talks’ to me. It is showing me what it needs, what would feel good right now, and what is too much. I distinguished and perceived this mostly by being guided into a pose first by the instructor, which I would modify then by listening to my body. It might just be bending the head in another way, rearrange an arm or a leg, and then later on the instructor would share modifications for the post with us and enlightening enough, my body knows what’s good for it! My body is getting to know Yoga! I am getting to know my body! Super. Just Zupa.
Day 20: Hot Yang & Yin
9 – 10 PM
This is gonna be a quick and dirty report from tonight’s practice. I am pretty tired ;D. Yang & Yin is perfect for you if you feel like you want it all tonight. You want it all in 60 minutes. Starting the class powerfully, Jamie prepares you for some hardcore Ab workouts by strengthening your core with several flows, warriors, launches & 3-legged down´-dogs! Followed by 2-3 long stretches and twists from the Yin practice!
Very very sweaty class. Awesome. Couldn’t get more out of 60 minutes. Absolute satisfaction. Would have just been nice to have had fresh pants in my bag after I had a shower at the studio. But oh well, you can’t have it all!
Good Night :)